MOMAS provides information to parents and caregivers about potential health impacts from exposure to toxins in everyday items found in our homes and schools, and our food. We also provide information that helps parents choose safer alternatives.
We have three public education projects: (1) Modern Moms Health Forums; (2) Detox Your Shopping List presentation; and (3) education on genetically modified foods (GMOs) & GMO labeling support:
- A genetically modified organism or “GMO” food is a plant or animal product that has had its DNA artificially altered to produce foreign compounds in that food. Over 80% of the conventional processed food sold in the United States contains GMO ingredients, including baby formula, cereal, ice cream, breads, salad dressing, and many other products. The majority of GMO crops are designed for one purpose: to withstand greater amount of pesticides and insecticides. GMOs have not been tested for health or safety in humans. Studies show that GMOs can create new, unintended toxicants and increase allergies, and other serious health problems.
- There is no requirement in the US to label GMO foods, but polls show over 90% of Americas support it. 50 countries including the European Union, Japan and China already label GMOs.
- MOMAS is a member of the Right to Know Coalition, which is a grassroots coalition of consumer, public health, environmental organizations and food companies that is seeking the labeling of GMOs. http://www.labelgmos.org/ The coalition is working on a California ballot initiative for the November, 2012 election to require GMO labeling. As consumers, we have a right to know what is in our food!
- MOMAS also holds house parties and educational panels where we educate parents and caregivers about GMOs, suggest healthier alternatives & inspire action – with a goal towards eliminating GMOs from our food supply in the near future.
Modern Moms Health Forums
MOMAS works with local physicians Dr. Michelle Perro, MD, D. Hom. & Dr. Myrto Ashe, MD, MPH, to develop educational forums about common toxins and their impacts on health. Recent topics include: “Planning for Pregnancy: Nutrition, Health & the Home Environment”; “Staying Healthy in Winter”; and “How Pesticides Affect Children’s Learning & Behavior.” The talks are broadcast on local cable station Channel 26 and are available “on demand” on MOMAS’ You Tube page. Keep checking back for updates or better yet, subscribe to receive them in your In Box.
Detox Your Shopping List – 10 Harmful Products You Should Never Buy
- MOMAS has developed a surprising and compelling slide show presentation about the damaging ingredients in everyday products. We provide clear and concrete suggestions for easy to implement changes that can have a have a big impact on the health of your family, your community and our shared ecosystem.
- Presentations are made at house parties, schools and to employee groups.